- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk or water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 oz) red food coloring
- ½ cup Apothic Cab
- 2 tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa
Cream cheese frosting (or store bought)
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease the bottom and sides of a 13×9-inch pan or two 9-inch round cake pans and lightly flour, or spray with baking spray and lightly flour.
- In a large bowl, add all of the cake ingredients together. Use an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to beat the ingredients together, then on medium speed for 2 minutes to combine fully, pausing to scrape the bottom of the bowl occasionally.
- At this time, place another large bowl in the fridge for use later – to make the frosting.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan(s).
- Bake as directed on the cake box. Remove from the oven and allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cake from the pans onto a cooling rack. Then, let the cake cool completely.
- In the chilled large bowl, mix the cream cheese and milk together until well combined and smooth.
- Beat in the whipping cream and powdered sugar with the electric mixer on high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until soft peaks form.
- Frost the top of your cake, or you can fully fill and frost the individual cake layers.
- Store loosely covered in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Finish & Serve
When it’s time for dessert, cut generous slices of the cake and serve it with a glass of Apothic Cab for a delectable night in