Effective date: October 2022
This website is owned by E. & J. Gallo Winery Canada Ltd. (“we”, “our”, “us” or “Gallo”).
You must be legal drinking age to use our website
Given the nature of our business, our website is intended only for individuals who are of legal drinking age. As a result, our website does not request or knowingly collect personal data from individuals under the legal drinking age in the province you reside in. If you are not of legal drinking age, you should not visit or use our website.
How to contact us
What are the purposes and legal bases for processing of personal data collected through this website?
We process your personal data in the following ways:
- to handle and respond to queries, questions, comments, or complaints you submit via the website or our toll free number;
- to contact you about products, services which we think you may be interested in, including those relating to other Gallo brands, should you choose to opt-in to such communications;
- to let you know about offers, discounts, coupons, promotions, competitions, prize draws, activities, events, or clubs we think you may be interested in;
- to respond to you when you choose to participate in our promotions, competitions, prize draws, activities, or events;
- to send you newsletters or other communications you have opted-in to receive;
- for business purposes such as analyzing how you use our websites in order to improve our websites, products and services;
- to combine the personal data you choose to send us with other data we may hold about you, or with other data we obtain from third parties;
- to use your personal data if we need to comply with the law, protect our legal rights (or the legal rights of the brand of Gallo), or to comply with any regulatory authorities;
- to keep track of your interactions with our websites and provide you with a more customized experience.
We rely on the following bases for processing your personal data:
- Necessity to enter into or perform a contract with you: where we need to process your personal data to enter into an agreement with you, such as your registration for a sweepstakes competition or contest, to perform contractual obligations, to respond to questions, requests or feedback from you, or to provide customer support.
- Legitimate interests: wherewe process personal data from you:
- for the security and safety of the website and the users of the website;
- to detect and prevent fraud;
- to protect and defend the rights or property of others, or our own rights and interests;
- to tailor content, advertisements and offers for you.
- Compliance with legal obligations: we may need to process your personal data to comply with relevant laws, regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders, and legal process.
What personal data do we collect about you?
- Personal data you submit to us via Contact Us, our Toll Free Number, or Other Webforms used for Promotions, Contests or Email Sign-Ups
On our website, you have the option to contact us to ask a question or submit an inquiry, you may be able to register to receive email newsletters or similar information on our products or services, or you may be able to enter into certain competitions, prize draws or other promotions that we offer from time to time. You also have the option of calling us at our Toll Free Number. As part of an online fill-in form, phone call, or registration process, we ask you to provide us with certain information – usually name, contact email address, data of birth (to confirm legal drinking age), phone number, and/or mailing address, if relevant for a promotion. At the time of collection of such information, we indicate what is mandatory (usually at least your name and email address) and what is optional. Where required by law to confirm your eligibility to participate, interact with us, or purchase or use our alcoholic products, we will ask you to confirm your age. Such data collection happens in the following circumstances:
- when you access our website, if we are required by law to confirm your age before granting such access;
- when you enter your location or when using our “where to buy” search function;
- when you register to receive our newsletter or our other communications;
- when you register to attend one of our events;
- if you indicate you would like us to send information about products you may be interested in;
- when you enter contests, prize draws or other promotions;
- information you provide to us when you participate in surveys or market research;
- when you contact us with a query or complaint.
We will log and store the date/time of your submission.
- Personal data we collect automatically
When you use our website, we automatically receive and record certain technical information:
- we may collect information from you relating to your browser, the computer or mobile device you are using, and your IP address;
- we may collect information about how you use the internet, such as the website you just visited, and the date and time you use our websites. We use third party cookies such as Google Analytics to help us do this.
- Personal data which we collect from third parties
We may collect personal data about you from third parties, including websites operated by third parties which are affiliated with us (for example, microsites which promote our products or promotions and are linked to our website).
With whom do we share your personal data?
We may share your personal data as follows:
- with third parties we have engaged to carry out certain activities on our behalf. This includes companies we have engaged to help us with advertising and marketing services, or subcontractors who help us administer promotions, contests, or process customer queries or complaints; and
- with government authorities, courts and others if the law requires us to, or if we think it is necessary to comply with the law or in order to protect or defend our legal rights, or those of others.
We may also anonymize your personal data, so that is no longer possible to identify you from it. If we do this, we may share it with third parties in anonymized form.
Transfers of your personal data to the united states
When you use the Contact Us webform on our site, or call our Consumer Engagement Center in California, you are transferring personal data to us in the United States. Where required, we enter into data processing, data transfer agreements, and privacy impact assessments to ensure an adequate level of protection of your personal data. These agreements include certain provisions which protect your personal information.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain your personal data for as long as we need to administer a promotion or contest, address your query, provide the services requested by you, facilitate your use of our website, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements, and for a period of 6 years thereafter for archival, audit and legal purposes, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
How do we protect your personal data?
We take appropriate steps to protect personal data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction, whether in transmission or storage. Please keep in mind, however, that there is no such thing as perfect security, and no Internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free.
It’s Your Choice: Contact Preferences
When submitting data on our website, you are declaring your consent to our processing of your personal data for the stated purposes (e.g., receipt of newsletters, entry into contests, etc. as the case may be). You are under no obligation to provide such consent and, if you choose to submit your personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time with future effect. We want to keep in touch with you in ways that you find to be beneficial. If you don’t want us to send you promotional communications (for example, information about other products and services that might be of interest), you can let us know by following the instructions we provide to you at the time we send you the relevant communication or by sending us an email at DataPrivacy@ejgallo.com.
Keep in mind that these preferences regarding promotional contacts do not mean that we might not contact you for other reasons, such as those related to an inquiry you made, a newsletter to which you may have subscribed, an event for which you registered, a legally required notice and so on.
What requests can you make in relation to your personal data?
We honor consumer requests that we:
- confirm whether or not personal data about you is being processed;
- provide you with further details about how we process your personal data;
- provide you with a copy of any data which we hold about you;
- treat your consent as withdrawn (where we rely on your consent as a legal basis for processing your personal information);
- consider any valid objection to the processing of your personal information (including the right to object to processing on grounds related to your particular situation where we are relying on our legitimate interests as a legal basis for processing);
- update or delete inaccurate or incomplete personal data which we hold about you;
- restrict the way that we process your personal data; and
- consider any valid request to transfer your personal data to a third party provider of services (data portability).
If you wish to submit a request or have questions regarding data privacy, please get in touch with us by emailing DataPrivacy@ejgallo.com.
Please note, however, that we may be unable to comply with certain requests if other exemptions apply. For example, if we need to keep processing your personal information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may also ask to you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity.